Friday, May 9, 2008

The Too-much Information Age has Arrived!

Welcome to the age of too-much information!

I am told there was a time in real estate - pre-internet, pre-multiple listing service, that when a listing came up the only people with access to a listing was a REALTOR (R) with a broker affiliation.
All listings were published in a book - imagine that, real pages! - and a client had to meet with a REALTOR (R) face to face to get the information. This face to face meeting was wonderful for an agent and for a client, for various reasons. The most important reason for a face to face meeting is simply because of communication - it is very difficult to convey over email a good sense of what someone is looking for in a home or investment. Although we can pull up listings based on a large number of search fields, a face to face meeting actually helps a REALTOR (R) know who they are working with beyond a screen of words. This is very valuable. Now, that being said, I do realize we are in the age of instant information. I welcome this as a wonderful form of research gathering, fact-finding and communication across the world which is exactly why I have decided it is time for me to start a blog. My goal for this is to be a forum of information gathered by me, a REALTOR (R) in southern California, wife and mom of 3 young kids. I also want to answer real questions posted by real people wondering about the state of the market.
The times are confusing, but those of us working in the industry everyday have a good grasp of what is happening - beyond what the media is reporting.



Look to this blog if you want to know more about the real estate market - especially the local market. I promise to give you honest answers and I also promise to not just post articles of information, but to deconstruct what is being reported so that it reflects reality for us in southern California.



- Stacy

No comments: